Coin Shooting dfxonly.com
Visit Us on Facebook - DFXonly

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Scott (Mid-Mich)'s Pictures

Post new topic   Reply to topic    dfxonly.com Forum Index -> 2011! Tom Weaver 3rd Memorial Hunt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scott (Mid-Mich)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:55 am    Post subject: Scott (Mid-Mich)'s Pictures Reply with quote

Hi All,

I am going to try to post a few of the pictures I took.

First, Here is one of a few of us on Saturday morning

And then starting out at Goose Pond (Goose's Pond heh).

Some of the buildings from the 20's. I looked here first and found a few clad. I should have brought my hammer and chisel as this was tough digging.

Almost everything was in the top couple of inches. You can see what a tough time the trees have trying to put their roots down.

Some scenery for those that missed the hunt.

I am not sure what kind of tree this is.

The stone walls were neat to see.

Continued
Scott (Mid-Mich)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schrecky first told me the story of this well. A farmer used to store milk here and some boys would row from across the pond to get it. I wonder what would have been found if someone had dug the muck back out of it. It was only about a foot or so deep but when used it had to have been much deeper to fit a milk can or more.

More pictures:

Gravel bridge to the silver slope (I think that is what Kevin and NDScott called it). [Edit - I knew I would get some names mixed up]

At the meeting when the prizes were given out.

I found this.

At this camp site on the slope. (you can see my diggings on the right side of the stone campfire ring) I also found a Wheatie here.

And if I am getting my pictures correctly posted, this is the slope where Kevo & Butch found all their silver. If you look at the center of this picture, you will see a rock, That is where Kevin found his half dollar.

Okay that is enough posting of pictures for now (I took over 200 pictures).

It was fun. I found two or three dollars in clad, three bad shape wheaties, plus the one silver, but the main thing is that I got a few more hours under my belt using the V3i.

Later,

Scott (Mid-Mich)

Happy Hunting

Last edited by Scott (Mid-Mich) on Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:38 am; edited 1 time in total
Goose

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, when I see those pics, it seemed that I was there again. Very nice pictures Scott. See ya again next year.
Rog

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott,

Great pictures, thanks. It was a pleasure to meet and talk to you and the rest of the group. I had a good time.

Rodger
fsdigital12

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great Pics!. Nice recap of the hunt. Thanks Smile
Rick@UK

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are some lovely pictures at least i have some idea of what the site looked like.
ndscott

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing these pictures. Very nice summary of the camp! It was great meeting you. I wish the silver slope would have produced something for you. When Kevin and I found it, the silver was popping out of the ground for about 30 minutes and we thought it would hold much more. Oh well.
kevo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonderful pictures. Thanks for them, they'll provide some great memories for years.

Also thanks a bunch for your tip on the silver. If it wasn't for you Scott and I would have never known where to focus on. We owe you one.
DFXplorer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SCOTT,
GREAT JOB ON THE PICS! HOPE TO SEE MORE AS YOU GET TIME.
LOOKS LIKE A GOOD TIME WAS HAD BY ALL!!
REGARDS,

PS: WHAT WAS THE SILVER TIP KEVO SPOKE ABOUT?? :wink
Scott (Mid-Mich)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DFXplorer wrote:
SCOTT,
GREAT JOB ON THE PICS! HOPE TO SEE MORE AS YOU GET TIME.
LOOKS LIKE A GOOD TIME WAS HAD BY ALL!!
REGARDS,

PS: WHAT WAS THE SILVER TIP KEVO SPOKE ABOUT?? :wink

I think that is when I mentioned that I found my silver quarter at a campsite that was on a flat area up the slope a bit. This site I did not know was there until I actually stumbled upon it. I first saw a burnt log from about twenty feet back and thought "what's that burnt log doing here in the middle of no where?". This spot was very hard to see from the lower area that had the picnic tables.

I am pretty sure that the lower exposed camping areas had been hit in the past (due to hardly any old coins in those places), so I started to look for flat areas up the slope a bit. I was also trying to find the sledding hill but I did not have any luck.

The area where the silver half's were found was a place you would not generally think there would be anything as it was brushy with large trees half way up the slope. I looked at the top of the slope but did not get any good hits. We kind of ruled out that area as being the sledding area due to the big trees and large exposed rocks.

It took me three days to figure out that the best chances of finding silver would be at the isolated camping spots off the main path, on a somewhat level area. Every campfire stone ring I found was on a flat area. I do not think anyone likes to camp on ground that is not level.
DFXplorer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SCOTT WROTE: "It took me three days to figure out that the best chances of finding silver would be at the isolated camping spots off the main path, on a somewhat level area. Every campfire stone ring I found was on a flat area. I do not think anyone likes to camp on ground that is not level."

MAKES PERFECT SENSE TO ME. THE POWER OF OBSERVATION IS AS KEEN AS THE USE OF THE DETECTOR WHEN IN THE FIELD. Smile
POST MORE PICS AS YOU GET THE TIME.
REGARDS,
Scott (Mid-Mich)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some additional pictures. Hopefully no repeats.

Seen some burn marks on a few of these really old stumps. One year while up north here in Michigan with my dad I saw similar old stumps with burn marks. He had told me that they had burnt from a forest fire in the 1800's so these also may be of similar age. I just found it hard to believe that they could be that old.

Found a Wheatie along this path above the Quarry. That shiny thing at the base of the pine tree is a vhs video tape. I took it home but it was just a standard pg-13 movie. I thought it was odd until later that day I saw quite a few smashed up in the quarry below the tree. Kids must have tossed them from this pine tree area.

And another one at the top of the same path.

Just before we went into the building where door prizes were given away.

One last thing to add, I imagine a few others that were there would have thought the same thing: It was so nice and relaxing to just walk around this quiet forested camp. Nice cool summer mornings and not really too hot at all to be hunting for that elusive treasure.

Thanks,

Scott (Mid-Mich)
Goose

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent photos....Thanks!
WannaWhitesEndorsement

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:24 pm    Post subject: Great Pictures Reply with quote

Hello Scott,

Thanks for the great pictures. I wish I could of made it to the hunt. It looks like great hunting !! There is an old boy scout camp near me here in michigan that I have done extremly well in for years now. Lots of silver and lots of gold and of course plenty of boy scout relics. Thanks again for the pics !!
Scott (Mid-Mich)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the kind words.

Now that we finally got some rain I will have a chance to get out again. I didn't want to hunt too much when it was dry as a bone as I was concerned about leaving traces of my diggings.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    dfxonly.com Forum Index -> 2011! Tom Weaver 3rd Memorial Hunt All times are GMT - 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: