Coin Shooting dfxonly.com
Visit Us on Facebook - DFXonly

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Permits

View previous topic :: View next topic  

If you could purchase a yearly permit to hunt "unauthorized" state parks Would you?
No
15%
 15%  [ 3 ]
Yes - if so what would you be willing to pay for the permit
84%
 84%  [ 16 ]
Total Votes : 19

tr snyper

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:08 pm    Post subject: Permits Reply with quote

I can't speak for the rest of the states but here in NJ the parks service has had budgets slashed to the point that some historic site have had to close to tourism as the funds can't support manning these sites with guides. In fact 2 years ago the state had shut down for almost a week and there wasn't one park ranger in any of them. There were some people who took advantage of this proplem and snuck in many sites detecting and even luded a few things. This was a bad set back for what I have been wanting to do.

I met and keep in touch with (name withheld) a person very high up in the NJ parks commisions. I have run proposals past this person to attempt to get authorazation to detect these sites. I am trying to come up with a way that a hunter can get State permits into these off limits parks. I will propose that a perimeter around the historic buildings remain off limits but many off these parks have 10's of thousands of acres with maybe one or two villages remaining. But the land surrounding these few left sites once held other long lost Villages due to fires.

Right now at this point in time "we" detectorists have our best shot at opening up some land. Of course this would have to come with a price. The people don't want to see them shut down but they don't want to pay any surcharge tax to do it.

So I'm putting up this poll to try to get (hopefully) a true and honest figure to what one would pay for a State permit so I can attempt to run this accross the commission.

Also if anyone has any input on what to suggest could be added in this proposal to help would be very much appreciated. Example: say the certain park was a maritime site where the Brittish fired on us then if a cannon ball or other relic more likely then not to be realted to that particular site gets recovered then it's to be turned into the sites musuem.

We will never get our cake and be able to eat it too. But we may just get a nice little slice of the pie in return. Most battle sites may produce relics from the battle. But before and after these battles there are 1,000's of coins and relics (not) related to the reason for the site becoming a historic site. This is where we can reap the benifits. The parks will get some extra much needed funding and we can open up our detecting grounds significantly!!!

If I can get it done in Jersey it could open up a precedent for other states to help fund the park services. I often get letters for donations to the parks service. But in reality I get nothing much in return since it would be spread over places I am not likely to see. Or benefit back from. Our government has backed us in corners on many things in ways we didn't like. If they need help. They need to give in a little.

Any thoughts!
mamo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

$25.00
Goose

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted 'No' because there are so many places to detect without 'Buying' a permit to access these places. There are many historic places to detect without being 'offlimits'......that is what research is for.
tr snyper

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goose - thanks for the honesty and input. I research and have my whole years worth of sites already scouted. And by the fall I will have spring sites ready. After I wrote the question (poll) I thought about how many other states don't have as much gobbled up state land that is almost all sitting on very early past colonies and homesteads. I haven't really ever had problems with getting good sites but a lot of what I call these "closet jumpers/hunters" who spot me in a site for several days will basically let "me" find the site and then they will just blazenly hunt right up on me. It's for those kind of jokers that I wish I could let them get some new sites instead of acting like parasites and for lack of better words bleed me from mine!!!

I noticed that this started after posting a bit to much info on T-net and someone airing my area out "for me" who doesn't even live near me what so ever. But they found it in there heart to go into the state by state section and post all the history around me. As if they were historians of this area when it wasn't much more then a few posts I wrote over this site Confused . Some almost word for word about sites I explained. I had no clue how many hunters lived around me as my PM's lit up when I posted (1) nice find. Of course all wanting to hunt with me. And the funny thing was not one offered to take "me" anywhere Question If I put my foot in my mouth and tell on me then that's my fault. But it's not so cool for others to do it to me if they can't find something from lack of proper research and scouting patience.

And no I won't lie and say that I wouldn't like to get in these sites openly myself. Truthfully I can anyway through working with the historical society and park commision as a sort of an Archeological type of a situation. One that "I will not explain how to get!". They can do what I did. Research and figure it out on their own. But I brunt the burden of paying dearly to get this conditional permission.

Just this last Sunday I went to hunt a private property site where I gained sole permission to hunt only to find it littered with really big, unfilled holes! Jersey does have a dense population and it has for centuries. Many old homes were built over even older village type homesteads. So it's hard pressed to almost NOT find something very old here. But it fuels some of these guys addiction to not play by the rules. And from T-net I now know that it's just as dense with metal detectorist and I wasn't really aware of it as I don't seem to see many hunters around unless I go to a beach or I am on a site for days Confused . It's frustrating but most of the time I can't do a thing about it. When they hunt up on me I intentionally OVERLOD the transmission signals to interupt there detectors signals so they can't get any depth. I may not be finding things at that moment but neither are they Wink . They just think I'm waisting my time and leave and generally don't come back. I think they think I'm bored as they all know I'm disabled and hunt quite often.

I'd like to see permits available to get them off my back if even for this problem. But if you think about it. People spend big money to get a detector, what's a few extra bucks to know they can have a great shot of taking advantage of it. Truthfully I would. But I'm not any losing ground if I can't.
Steve
Goose

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

T S, I can only imagine what you go through. I'm only in my 21st yr detecting and I detect mainly in an adjoining city, now at 65K people. Our city is young....1907, I don't detect here. We moved here when the population was around 1200....now 15K +. In the 20 yrs detecting in the adjoining city, I've only met 6 other detectorists, and only 2 that knew what they were doing. As I mentioned before, I go into the neighboring city hall in April and ask where the the upcoming construction will be taking place in the coming summer. Things were pretty lax last yr, but this yr? It's going to be a great yr....I now have 4 major area lined up, but I'll be doing a little traveling...I hope to squeeze detecting in.
JeffH

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the permit would grant access to a lot of really good sites, I would break the piggy bank and shell out $100 for the opportunity. The steep price might help keep the riff raff away Laughing

Another way to look at it is, if you spend 50 hours a year swinging a coil at these sites, that's only 2 bucks an hour. Where else can you have that much fun for 2 bucks an hour Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    dfxonly.com Forum Index -> Laws & Detecting All times are GMT - 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: