Coin Shooting dfxonly.com
Visit Us on Facebook - DFXonly

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

DFX discrimination strategy to identify junk
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

View previous topic :: View next topic  
McDiggerson

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:48 pm    Post subject: discrim theory 101 Reply with quote

Please forward copy of findings. Thankyou. Andy
ferrealone

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like a copy as well

ferrealone@aol.com
PlunkTwang

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:18 am    Post subject: Okay, My Turn to He'p the Cherries.. Reply with quote

Here is the document, in its entirety. If you can't copy (Ctrl-C) and then paste (Ctrl-V) it into a Word .doc file or a Wordpad text file, then you shouldn't be operating heavy equipment--like a DFX or a computer. Very Happy
----------------------------------------
To dig or not to dig, that is the question.
A discrimination strategy for the DFX to improve productivity
By John Huggins: gray_beard@comcast.net

We as detectorist share a common goal of wanting to retrieve the most valuable targets during the time we spend in the field. Would you implement a different behavior that would add about a third again more time to your detecting? There are a variety of strategies we can employ while detecting. The strategies I know about are: dig everything, discriminate out values of unwanted objects, dig all positive VDI target values, and use the capability of the metal detector to identify common worthless or nearly worthless targets.

Iíve used the dig every target strategy and while it produced some interesting finds outside my normal range of recovery items, unfortunately, none of them were valuable. I found this strategy to be time consuming, generally non-productive and really hard on my aching body.

To discriminate out unwanted objects like pull-tabs on my machine would mean discriminating out many gold rings and smaller jewelry falling in that same target range. This is not a strategy I use or recommend. For me, a single gold ring makes up for a pocket full of pull-tabs.

The Whiteís DFX is a very capable machine with a wide variety of features that are well described in the userís manual. If you want to do a deeper dive into the feature set, I recommend Jeff Fosterís book Digging deeper with the DFX. I have read both and they compliment each other. I used information from these two sources as the basis for the development of my strategy. I will share that strategy, but first a story to emphasize my point.

I decided to dig every positive VDI target on a recent detecting trip to my favorite secret location near my western Oregon home in Eugene. That day I dug 143 pennies, 25 pull tabs, 20 bottle caps, 41 quarters, 28 dimes, 19 nickels, and some miscellaneous jewelry. This was about six hours of hard detecting and a good day from a recovery standpoint. I could have done a lot better had I used a better strategy. My point is I wasted about two and one half hours digging worthless or nearly worthless targets. That is based on an optimistic average of one minute to evaluate, pinpoint, and retrieve each target. That night my injured knees and strained back reminded me that they would not long tolerate that level of time and energy expenditure.

So, what do I consider to be worthless or nearly worthless? Iíll start with the zinc core pennies. Out of the 143 pennies retrieved 108 or 75% of these were the post 1982 zinc core memorials. I find zinc core pennies usually make up more than the 75% they produced on this trip. Since I donít recycle pull-tabs or bottle caps, I consider those to be worthless also. All the zinc core pennies, plus the pull tabs and bottle caps are easily identified with standard features in the DFX.

The DC Phase feature combined with the normalized 6.6 KHz AC VDI value are at the heart of my of discrimination strategy. DC Phase is the (15 KHz) DC VDI value of the target. When enabled through the menu system and activated with the pinpoint trigger, the value is displayed on the upper right hand corner of the screen. The DFX can be used in the 3 KHz, the 15 KHz mode or both modes simultaneously. In most standard usage and programs the DFX uses both modes and displays the normalized 6.6 KHz AC VDI target value. The differential between the 6.6 KHz and the 15 KHz target value can be used to discriminate out the worthless and near worthless items giving you more time to find the good stuff.

Pre 1983 pennies are about 95% copper and have a 6.6 KHz AC value of 77 + or - 2. The 15 KHz DC value is 87 + or -2. This target range overlaps with dimes, and other valuable targets, so I dig them. These pennies have a copper content value of about twice the face value.

Post 1982 pennies have a zinc core material. The vast majority have a normalized 6.6 KHz AC value of 58 + or - 2. The 15 KHz DC value is 80 + or -2. The soil acidity in my part of Oregon deteriorates these pennies badly making about half of them non redeemable. This deterioration sometimes makes them fall outside the VDI ranges described, which usually means I dig them. Watch out that you donít walk away from Indian head pennies at a 6.6 KHz AC value of 64 + or - 2

Nickels have a 6.6 KHz AC value of 20 + or - 2. The 15 KHz DC value is 46 + or -2. This is the same range as many gold rings and I dig everything in this range.

Clad dimes have a 6.6 KHz AC value of 78 + or - 2. The 15 KHz DC value is 88 + or -2. These over lap with copper pennies and silver rings and I dig them all.

Clad quarters have a 6.6 KHz AC value of 83 + or - 2. The 15 KHz DC value is 91 + or -2. This value overlaps that of one dollar coins and heavy silver rings. I dig everything in this range.

Pull tabs have a normalized 6.6 KHz AC value of any where between +10 and +40, with the vast majority in the mid twenties. The 15 KHz DC value of pull tabs is in the mid sixties to low seventies. Items of value, like gold rings and a lot of small jewelry, are in this same AC VDI range and have a DC range of about one and one half to two times the AC value.

Bottle caps normalized 6.6 KHz AC value of any where between +10 and +30. This is the same range as gold rings. This is the only common items Iíve seen that has a 15 KHz DC value is less than the 6.6 KHz AC value.

So, now the question is not to dig or not to dig, the question is what of value I could have found in that two and one half hours I wasted digging worthless or nearly worthless targets.

I will put a disclaimer that the vast majority of junk targets can be identified with this strategy, but, this is not a foolproof system. There are items that will fall outside these guidelines. Use what works for you.

Target 6.6 KHZ AC VDI 15 KHz DC VDI
Indian head pennies 64+-2 84 +-2
Pre 1983 pennies 77 +-2 87 +-2
Post 1982 pennies 58 +-2 80 +-2
Nickels 20 +-2 46 +-2
Clad dimes 78 +-2 88 +-2
Clad quarters 83 +-2 91+-2
Pull-tabs 10 +40 60 to 80
Bottle caps +10 +30 Less than (AC)
Gold rings +10 +50 About 1.5 times the AC Value
arend

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would like to have a copy<
Ty

vatoslocos928@hotmail.com
colgoldlyn77

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:33 pm    Post subject: Re: DFX discrimination strategy to identify junk Reply with quote

graybeard wrote:
To dig or not to dig, that is the question. Very Happy
A discrimination strategy for the DFX to improve productivity in a word document to you if you will send me your email address

Please could you send me a copy.

Regards

Colin (UK)

colinhollos@msn.com Smile
tr snyper

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PT - If there ever was a post I would have loved to have chimed in on. THIS WAS IT!!! How the hell did I miss this until now Evil or Very Mad . Damn, I could put myself in your shoes when that was going on and I have to tell ya. I'm not to sure I could have stayed as composed as you did. Reading that made "me" want to pop a Valium. Unreal

Since I don't want to scroll back 22 +/- 2 pages I can't remember off hand who even wrote the post. And this is nothing personal to who it was who offered his help rightously. I applaud you for your time to write the sheet for the forum. And I doubt that you knew it would get mental, I mean go Viral Laughing . But there was one little thing that you may not quite of thought of when you were doing your observations. My memory isn't so hot but you are from a western state I think. On the North Eastern coast things just don't quite VDI the same. Yeah a nickle may phase lower then the pull tab but there are many more relics and small coins that vary from those Phase readings. And there are trash targets here you won't see there that VDI and Phase good. Like old milk jug caps. Or these old brass fasteners that was used for siding and shake roofing. I could see that being helpful at a newer park but around these old homes it still comes down to if it hits steady, phases + and is repeatable then you really should dig it. Even if it wraps around. If a steady + phase shows you have to dig it. This is only my opinion. But I do rely heavy on the DC Phase. It's my favorite feature. I listen for a steady audio (weak or strong) then watch to see if it shows positive signals with the DC Phase on. If you stick to that sheet here you would walk past more relics, buttons, pins and coins then it would be worth in time you lose dodging pulltabs. Which quite possibly isn't a pulltab. Sometimes they break in half and read as a nickle. On nickles I notice it stackes bars to the top. Aluminum that is small doesn't!
Gldfver

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like a copy if you still have it...thanks

schoonover903@comcast.net
kmetsger

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I would like a copy if you still have it. Thanks, Kyle

DFXTreasureHunter@gmail.com
texrider

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:02 pm    Post subject: program Reply with quote

please email the copy jason121274@gmail.com thank you
jeperkinson

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 11:22 am    Post subject: disc. Reply with quote

Joined not to long ago just came across this forum .I would like a copy of your Disc strategy . Hope its not to late Thanks.

jeperkinson1969@gmail.com
ferrealone

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The entire article is above...here on page 9 posted by Plucktwang.....copy and paste on a word document and there you have it!
tr snyper

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if this would be popular but I noticed that my best way to identify junk is that I'll dig every iffy signal if the DC Phase backs it up. When I pull the target up if I see a pull tab. Then I just indentified it as a piece of junk Laughing .

Every and any program I've ever attempted left something good behind as junk. Maybe it's my region where there's a large variety of types of relics in the junk range?
boondock

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like a copy please... Thanks
boondock1416@gmail.com
Goose

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome aboard Boondock..
PlunkTwang

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, boondock...

Scroll up the page a bit, and you'll see that I pasted in the entire original article posted by Graybeard.

My handle is PlunkTwang, so look for that. Highlight the whole article and copy and paste to Notepad or Word or something.

Cheers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    dfxonly.com Forum Index -> Programs All times are GMT - 2 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9

Jump to: