Coin Shooting dfxonly.com
The Site Devoted Solely to the World's Greatest Metal Detectors -- the DFX and the V3!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Howard Garrs "LAWNS" program

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Idahodave

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:44 pm    Post subject: Howard Garrs "LAWNS" program Reply with quote

Starts with jewlery& beach program. change these settings:tone audio frequncy= 186.silent search off.mixed mode off.AC sens: 74. DC sens 35. ratchet pp off.sat speed 7-8.toneID on.VCO on.modulation off.autotrc on. Block edit:reject VDINN -95 to-31, accept-30 to-1, reject 0 to+7, accept +8 to +95.( note these numbers are VDINotNormalized) recovery speed: 24 for light trash up to 32 for heavy trash areas. hot rock&bcap reject:5. sweep speed 14 for light trash up to 20 for heavy trash. VDI sens 88. graph ave& accumulate: off. He says for fast target ID, but I like the accumulate on.PAG=3. 4 if you can get it and still be stable, up the AC sense at the same time if you can. I have used the 9.5 eliptical and 6x10 DD loops with this program and have found both to work well. As I,ve said before, the multi tone ID feature takes alot of getting used to, but worth spending the time learning to "read" the tones. most coins bring out an almost musical "toodaloo" sound. Like most programs these settings can be tweaked here and there to fit personal preferences.Good Luck!
JeffH

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Idahodave, those high sweep speeds jump out at me. Is it because you have highly mineralized soil? How many ground filters do you run with this program?
Idahodave

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those speeds were right out of the book, I have lowered that a bit on my own settings. The guy who wrote the book is into competition hunts and reading the book I got the impression that that mentallity bleeds over into his regular detecting. I have noticed also some of the areas we hunt in S Oregon have mineralized soil and plenty of hot rocks. I have a better grasp on the DFX after a year so I will try some of these other programs and different coils as well on this next trip. I'll have plenty of time to experiment.
JeffH

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My soil conditions are on the other end of the scale. I typically run with a Sweep Speed of 1 and 3 Ground Filters. I wouldn't know what to do with highly mineralized soil.
Idahodave

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It,s a pain in the rear end thats for sure. As soon as you get near an area thats known to have gold usually the mineralization gets worse. I have tried the prospecting program but can't seem to get any kind of stability with it. No matter what I do it seems to go off screaming any time I sweep over gravel/dirt to bedrock. Spends so much time giving false signals that I've pretty much given up on this detector as far as nugget hunting on my claims. all I have found with it are hotrocks square nails & lead. I did hit one small crack in the bedrock last year while using an umentionable machine (NOT austrailian) That yeilded almost 1/4 oz, one nugget of that was about 2dwt. As shallow as it was I think any detector would of found it.
That'll_Do

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the Club,

This is a notorious problem in VA. One of the best locations is a creek
with two older 19th-20th cent. mines whose tailing piles were bulldozed
out over a 3 or 4 acre area in the 70's by Army Corp of Engineering to
improve water flow down the creek. It is phenominally mineralized.
Water pH has been recorded as low as 3.4 in the dry months. Equipment
is regularly eaten up by it. Hands too. Very nasty. But good gold. Yet, I
have not heard of even one find by MD down there in all these years.
Even with those $4,000+ competitors of ours. MXT's are most popular
White's machines down that way - they don't find gold there either.
Have heard reports of finds in N.C.

Maybe a V3 might work where others have failed ? There are some good
guys down there and some pompous ones too. Pride goeth before a Fall.
Right? We'll see what 2010 brings,...

That'll_Do
Idahodave

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bulldozed out tailing piles... wow, you would think that would be a nugget hunters paradise!! If the tailing piles on my claims were dozed out I be there getting RICH right now...they are all moss covered hand stacked from the late 1800's in a drainage known for very coarse gold.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    dfxonly.com Forum Index -> Programs All times are GMT - 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: